Thursday, February 28, 2013

Trukk #3 Part 3

This is a quick update.  Got the rivets and wheels on.  It actually makes quire a difference.I wasn't too excited about this trukk but as its come together I'm likin it.  I think it really has that jalopy look I'm trying to capture.

Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Trukk #3 Part 2

More progress. I cut elements for the trukk bed:
I predistressed the edges of the bed plates as they will be too hard to get at once glued in.

Thursday, February 21, 2013

Quick Hit: Bitz from unlikely sources

I've been asked more than once about some of the bits I use on builds and it got me thinking about the "non-standard" parts I find and incorporate.  Let's take two recent builds posted here, a Nob Biker and the Gobsmasha:

Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Trukk #3 Part 1

I needed 1 more trukk to load the boyz in.  I started by using a the chassis I shorted some time ago and added more structure to lengthen and widen the bed. I glued the front axle upsidedown and on the top of the frame to drop the nose in the weeds.   The rear axle had to be extended to accomodate the wider bed. The engine is the stock trukk kit:

Friday, February 8, 2013

Gobsmasha Part 6

Just to prove I have been doing something here's the progress I've made:
Big A$$ wheel.  I used a combination of rod cutting, hole punches and cutting card to get the lugs I wanted.

Thursday, February 7, 2013

Gobsmasha Part 5

I wanted to build a large center hub for the wheel.  I looked at several methods and decided I'd use a short length of 1/2" tube with a cap on top.  The problem I had was how to make a plasticard disk the size I needed, on the cheap. I poked around the intertubes and found this technique on a shipbuilding forum:
Cut a piece of stack bigger than you need and drill a hole in it the size you need (this will be apparent on the next step):

Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Gobsmasha Part 4

Back to the wheels:
I needed clean up the inside edge where the plate meets the rim.  I was going to cut another disk, but getting a smooth circle was a pain.  Instead I used some strip stock and lined the inside of the rim.  It took two strips but it turned out good:

Monday, February 4, 2013

Gobsmasha Part 3

I started on the body of the 'Smasha.
I used a Leman Russ hull top and bottom not only to give it a looted look, but I'm lazy!