Monday, January 29, 2018

Painting Howling Griffins Part 2

After trying a few different methods, I settled on repriming the red quarters by hand, again using the VJ German red brown.  I use a chisel tip brush as it's easier to get straight lines. Two thin coats!
I let the primer dry overnight so that is gets a nice cure, then I mask off the yellow.  For infantry or anything with lots of detail I use silly putty.  It sticks just right and can be moulded into place. Just stretch it out to get a straight section then lay in in place, fiddling with it till it's right.


I prehighlight with a light grey, then airbrush VJ Gory red as the midtone.  Red a fairly translucent, I find a prehighlight helps it pop.



I repeat the process and do a zenithal prehighlight to catch the high spots then airbrush VJ Ferrari Red for the final high spots., here's a shot in between moving masks around.


Here's where we are after the reds are done:



I use Badger Minitare Ghost Tint Brown to redefine the shadows.





That's it for the reds. mtk...







No comments:

Post a Comment