Monday, January 22, 2018

Painting Howling Griffins Part 1

Painting these guys is very much a shifting, fluid process.  It's taken me a while through trial and error to get to a point where I'm getting results without spending way too much time them.  The first squad worked out well, but war way too labor intensive, so I keep refining as I go to see how much i can simplify as still get consistency on the finished product.

For this first part I'll show how I got the yellows done.

 I used Vallejo German Red-Brown acrylic, thinned 3:1 with Flow-Aid and ran it through the airbrush. I completely covered the model as the whole thing needed a primer base. I didn't preprime with any enamel black or white.


I then basecoat the model Vallejo Scrofulous Brown, focusing on the quarters that will stay yellow. I apply a zenthal highlight of Sun Yellow directly over the Scrolf brown and that work well.  The yellow pictured had a tendency to clog the airbrush so it's been replaced with the Game Air version. When using the Game Air version of Sun Yellow I found it was a bit too translucent, so a prehighlight of white, or light grey is needed for the Sun Yellow. 


Next time, the red quarters.


1 comment:

  1. Very nice! I do love Scrofulous Brown, such a good basecoat for the yellows. Looking forward to seeing more, always dig a good quartered paint scheme!

    ReplyDelete