Friday, December 28, 2012

Master of the Forge Kitbash

I have always liked the idea of a Master of the Forge led army, but I don't care for the resin model.  I figured I'd see what I could do with an all plastic build.

Here's a go at a Master with a Conversion Beamer, using parts from the Devastators box and the Marine Vehicle Accessory sprue.
 

I started with modest parts, a set of legs, a standard torso rear and a Tech front torso from the Marine vehicle sprue:
 
For the backpack I used the Devastator Sargent Backpack and the Missile Launcher backpack mech arm:
I trimmed off the vent and cleaned up the cut so it was level, I also cut off the skull on the pack face:
I glued the mech arm where the vent used to be, and glued the vent in the upper center of the pack:
I then trimmed off the very bottom of the pack with then little vents:
I wanted the pack to really look big and bulky, so I trimmed up a Plasma Gunner's pack from the devastator sprue:
After some dry fitting I noticed the cable harness would be way off and would need to be bent into position.  I cut a notch in the backside of the fitting:
 
For the Beamer, I wanted it to be bulky and awkward.  In the early editions of 40k the Beamer looked like a Plasma Cannon, so that's what I started with:
I trimmed off the end of the cannon and the little fuel nub on the top, then assembled:

The Beamer should look arcane and a bit over the top.  Instead of a barrel it needed an emitter.  I used the scanner dish off of the Vehicle sprue and a Necron bit I had in my bitz box.  Any bit would look good here, maybe the comms array or a lascannon bit.
I trimmed the back of the dish and glued it to the Plasma cannon:
Then I used the Lascannon scope in the top, trimming to fit:
Now I have this funny little gap between the cannon and the dish.  It's not a big deal, but for me it's an excuse to fit something else:
This'll do nicely! Right off the Vehicle sprue:
After some trimming and shaving it was added to fill the gap. I also added a shackle the top to give the piece a little more weight.
 Beamer complete:
While the Beamer was setting, it was the body's turn.  The backpack was attached to the body. At this point I added a tabard that can hang down behind the gun.  I cheated a bit and used an Ork Nob tabard from my bits box, but one of the tabards from the devastator box would be great too.
Lastly I chose the Devastator Sergent's Helmet and the Techmarine Shoulder pad from the Vehicle sprue.  I attached these after I glued the Beamer in place on the body:
For final assembly I used the Plasma Gunner's left arm and ended up with a finished piece.
Here's my take on an all plastic Master of the Forge:
At this point I may add extra stuff to bulk him out, maybe some stabilizing legs or something.  I was able to build this guy (with the exception of two easily replaceable bits) out of leftover bits from two kits.

It's your build, make it your own.











No comments:

Post a Comment